Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Being a Character Builder - McEwan-Chapter 1 - Habit # 2 of 7 Habits in Dealing Positively with Difficult Teachers

McEwan stresses the significance of being a role model "whose values words and deeds are marked by trustworthiness, integrity, authenticity, respect, generosity, and humility." (p. 5-6)  Though it doesn't appear to be something she is practicing as you listen to the overall voice of the book, she reminds me of the need to sit back a bit and take stock in whether I am serving as a good role model. 

At work we are struggling with significant budget issues.  Tempers are short and people are engaged in desparate measures to try to prevail on given practices.  I found myself resentful and angry at some of the intellectual dishonesty (intentional misrepresentation of the fact) and gorilla tactics being used by the union (sit-ins, arm bands, etc.) to try to prevent certain cuts.  McEwan reminded me to come at the issue with more humility and respect--to be more generous in spirit as I grapple with these issues and navigate the college environment. 

Toward that end, I am reconsidering my responses, my reactions.  I am trying to understand more.  It certainly clears the air and gives me more room to be effective in navigating these hard times. If I model anger and resentment, that is what I am likely to get back.  Go figure.... :)

1 comment:

  1. yes! the fact that McEwan misses the opportunity to model good leadership for her readers has reminded me to redouble my own efforts, to be extraordinarily cognizant of my duties as a role model, to ensure i am modeling the expectations i have for those i lead, aligning my intentions and my words with my actions.

    ReplyDelete