Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Assertiveness

McEwan begins the discussion of the habits of effective Principals with the concept of assertiveness.  Her distinction between assertiveness as a positive forthright approach to leadership and agressiveness that serves to humiliate, bully and demoralize others is very helpful.  As I developed professionally and navigated many environments full of posturing and positioning, and full of processes and conditions that didn't quite pass the common sense test, I felt the need to speak the truth - say things out loud, call it like it is and call it a duck if it waddled and quacked.  The important thing is that I had to figure out the difference between assertiveness and aggressiveness.  This required self reflection -- to be able to think about my own values, my own presence, my own professional and emotional maturity.  As I became more clear about those things, I was able to rely more on my inclination or disposition to do the right thing and treat people with respect while effectively addressing issues that need to be addressed. 

2 comments:

  1. deconsturting McEwan's book in class last night was both a relief to learn I was not alone in my discomoft around her tone, but it was also a fantastic way to illuminate my own leadership values in contrast to some of the labeling and attitude reflected in the book. While I felt a strong emotional reaction to her tone, I am proud that I am still able to pull from the book her valuable distinction between assertive and aggressive. The template she provides for preparing an assertive intervention is very useful.
    Stacey Moyer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think the hardest thing to do is to have the theory (that which we have an intellectual grasp) and praxis (that which we actually practice) come together. It is harder than one imagines, especially when confronted with a more stressful situation.

    ReplyDelete